Skip to content

Policy for Travel Restrictions

Policy on Travel Restrictions for International Programs

February 25, 2015

Union College does not operate or direct study abroad programs, including independent study abroad projects, for any student in a country for which a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning or U.S. economic sanctions are in effect.

Union College students may apply through the International Programs office for a “non-Union” program in a Travel Warning country that is wholly operated and directed by a college or educational agency other than Union College. Applications will be considered using the same criteria that apply to all non-Union program applications. Students embarking on a non-Union program must first sign Union’s Participant Agreement (Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement available at indicating that he or she understands the risks involved in travel to this location and releasing Union College from any liability. The student’s parent(s) or legal guardian(s) must also sign a completed Waiver of Liability.

Union College students who study in countries subject to a Travel Warning when they are not enrolled at Union, for example during the summer, may apply for transfer credits subject to Union’s transfer credit guidelines as described in the Academic Register, provided that they and their parent(s) or guardian(s) have signed a Waiver of Liability form in advance of the study abroad. Also, students may apply for permission to apply courses taken in countries subject to a Travel Warning to requirements such as General Education or major requirements, again provided that they and their parent(s) or guardian(s) have signed a Waiver of Liability form in advance of the study abroad.

Union College does not sponsor study in any manner to countries under U.S. Economic Sanctions. No Union College credit or requirements may be satisfied through a program, either Union’s or that of another institution in the case of a country under U.S. Economic Sanctions. A list of these countries is available at:

Union College works with GeoBlue/DRUM, a service that provides assistance in the event of a kidnapping or a forced evacuation from a country.  The International Programs office will provide students studying abroad independently with information about how to access this service.  All students participating on one of Union's full-terms or mini-terms that take place outside of the USA will be covered by GeoBlue (formerly HTH) medical insurance. Union College strongly recommends that at least one parent have a valid passport should emergency travel to a program site become necessary.