Skip to content

Financial Aid, Scholarships, and Fellowships

For many students, a learning abroad experience is possible only with financial assistance. The International Programs Office at Union College does its best to address this need. Several scholarships and fellowships are available.

Students may use their financial aid awards for most term abroad programs, with the exception of the mini-terms. The application process and filing deadlines remain the same for students planning to study abroad. Detailed instructions and information regarding the financial aid programs are available on the Financial Aid website. Students wishing to borrow additional funds to cover term abroad program fees and/or travel expenses should contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss the available options.

Fellowships through the International Programs Office

The International Programs Office has several need-based fellowships established by faculty and alumni that are intended to support students who require financial assistance to participate in a Union term abroad experience. The office endeavors to award five to six fellowships per year. The average amount is $1,000, which can be used at the recipient’s discretion.

Outside Scholarships and Fellowships for Union Terms Abroad


This section of provides a comprehensive guide that explains different forms of financial aid and loans available for study abroad students.

Boren  Scholarships

Boren Scholarships provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to add an important international and language component to their education. They focus on geographic areas, languages and fields of study that are critical to U.S. national security, broadly defined, and underrepresented in study abroad. For assistance in applying to this scholarship, please contact the Post-Baccalaureate Fellowships and Scholarships Office.

Foundation for Global Scholars

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship

The Gilman Scholarship Program for undergraduate study abroad was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000. This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduates who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide. For assistance in applying, contact the Post-Baccalaureate Fellowships and Scholarships Office.

Shawn Carter Foundation

Insight into Diversity Global Engagement Scholarship.docx

The National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education (NADOHE) is accepting nominations for the 2018 Insight into Diversity Global Engagement Scholarships  that are generously funded by Insight into Diversity. The $2,500 scholarship is designed to encourage global engagement among underrepresented students from diverse backgrounds (first generation, students from rural or isolated areas and students from low socio-economic) whose backgrounds represent a broad cross section of our society including students with disabilities, different race/ethnicity populations, religious backgrounds, LGBTQIA, and other identities.

Need more options?

Search for scholarships by country, academic subject and other categories on IIE Passport's Study Abroad Funding 

Outside Scholarships and Fellowships for Postgraduate International Experience and Travel

Applications are due in September of the senior year. Students are advised to plan well in advance and to contact the Post-Baccalaureate Fellowships and Scholarships Office a minimum of 3-6 months before the application deadlines.

Fulbright Program

This flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government is designed to increase mutual understanding between peoples of the U.S. and other countries. With this goal as a starting point, the program has provided approximately 308,000 participants — chosen for their academic and leadership potential — with the opportunity to study, teach and conduct research, exchange ideas and contribute to finding solutions to shared international concerns. Currently, the Fulbright Program operates in more than 155 countries worldwide. For assistance in applying to this program, contact the Post-Baccalaureate Fellowships and Scholarships Office.

Thomas J. Watson Fellowship

A one-year grant for independent study and travel outside the U.S. is awarded to graduating college seniors nominated by participating institutions. For assistance in applying, contact the Post-Baccalaureate Fellowships and Scholarships Office.

Want to work abroad after graduation? Contact the Becker Career Center.