Skip to content

Student/Parent Paperwork

Students apply two terms prior to the term they want to study abroad. Students who have been accepted on a program through the International Programs office must initially confirm their acceptance and shortly after, complete a set of paperwork. Details and links to the process are outlined below. Except for the Participant Agreement, the links to the documents below are for parents' reference only as the students will access this information online and digitally sign and submit the majority of the required documentation.  At the start of the term prior to their departure, International Programs will hold a general orientation meeting to discuss the forms outlined below. Later in the term, a second meeting is held for the full term programs to discuss topics such as packing, safety, traveling, communications, etc. In addition, the faculty leader of the program may hold a series of meetings in the term prior to departure to prepare the student for the program.


  1. Deposit: After receiving an acceptance letter, a student confirms acceptance to a program by paying a $350 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit, either cash or check (payable to Union College) at the cashier's office in McKean House (generally due two weeks after receiving the provisional acceptance). McKean is located behind Golub House. During the academic year, the cashier's office is open Monday - Friday from 9:00 a.m. to noon and 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. (summer hours are Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to noon). Alternately, the check may be mailed to the cashier's office. The student's name, ID number and program name should be on the check that is sent to:
Cashier's Office/McKean House
Union College
807 Union Street
Schenectady, NY 12308


  1. Participant Agreement: The Participant Agreement may be completed beforehand, except the signature. Each person must sign in the presence of a notary. If necessary, each parent can print out page eight of this form and have their signature notarized separately. A student may have his/her signature witnessed by the same notary as the parents, a notary on campus, or any other notary. This original signed Participant Agreement must be returned to the International Programs office. Scans or faxes are not acceptable.  There are four different Participant Agreement types; a student must complete the appropriate one:
View a sample of how to complete a Participant Agreement.


  1. Alcohol and Drug Policy: For all programs.
  2. Behavior Agreement: Only for fall term programs going to Australia, Brazil, Ireland and Vietnam.
  1.  Conduct Code: For all programs.
  1. Flight Arragements Form: For all programs.
  1. Passport - A copy of the biographical page of the student's passport is required for all programs going abroad.
  1. Medical Form - Students are required to have a physical within six months of their program departure date. If they are unable to see their physician and/or are not yet within the window of a covered physical, Union's Wicker Wellness will allot certain days each term for the study abroad physicals, and the visit is has a $25 cost that will be charged to the student's account. It is important to note that the days announced will be only the days when this service is provided.
  1. Sexual Harassment Policy: For all programs.
  1.  Tuition and Credit Guidelines - Needed only for programs in Australia, Belgium, Brazil, France (Rennes), Greece, Ireland, Japan, Vietnam and Non-Union Programs


  • Blogging Agreement
  • Self Identification Form - For a student  a disability/chronic medical condition who may require assistance or accommodations from Union College
  • Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) - STEP is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. STEP allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency. STEP also allows Americans residing abroad to get routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Union College International Programs (Study Away) Withdrawal Policy

Should you decide not to participate in your chosen program, you need to let the International Programs office know in writing as soon as possible, since there may be applicants on a wait list who wish to enroll in your place.  For those students who withdraw in the period between 60 days before the start date for their program and the start date for their program, those students may be held responsible for a withdrawal fee in accordance with the schedule for Union College’s International Programs (Study Away) Withdrawal Policy, found in the Academic Catalog.

Students who do not plan to return to Union College for the term in which they were to study away must notify the Dean of Students Office in writing.  Neither failure to pre-schedule or register, non-payment of the term bill, nor a request for a transcript constitute official notice of withdrawal or leave of absence.